Skip to Main Content

Transferring Credits


    Southeast Community College is fully accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges. Credit is therefore acceptable by most colleges and universities in the United States. Even though most courses listed under the Academic Transfer area at SCC transfer to most colleges and universities, you should consult with an Academic Transfer advisor to be sure the courses you take are applicable to the degree you are seeking. It ultimately is the student’s responsibility to check with the institution where credit is being transferred to ensure SCC's courses will meet that school's degree requirements.

    For high school students enrolling at SCC:

    The following is the suggested high school coursework students need prior to enrolling at SCC:

    • 4 years of math (including geometry if transferring to the University of Nebraska-Lincoln) 
    • 4 years of English
    • 3 years of social sciences
    • 3 years of natural sciences
    • 2 years of foreign language

    For SCC students transferring credits to another institution:
    The most important step is to contact an advisor from the institution to which you plan to transfer as soon as possible! Start today – don’t wait until the last minute to find out if you’ve taken the correct classes to meet general education requirements.

    Ask for:

    • A list of general education courses required for your major.
    • A list of admissions requirements for the college – including the minimum GPA you will need from SCC to get accepted for your major.
    • Information on which SCC classes will transfer and how those classes apply to your baccalaureate degree.

    How transferring credit typically works:

    • The receiving school always has final approval of how they will use your previous credits.
    • Courses usually must have a grade of ‘C’ or better to transfer the credits.
    • Four-year schools require a minimum cumulative GPA of a 2.0 (‘C’ average) to transfer. Many schools or majors require a higher GPA.
    • Remember: credits transfer – grades do not. Your GPA at any school is based on the classes you took at that institution.
    • Your grades at SCC will be used to make an admissions decision for the school you plan to transfer to. After you transfer, however, you will have credits on your transcripts but no GPA until you complete courses at your transfer institution.
    • Most schools will accept 60-66 semester hours or 90-99 quarter hours in transfer from a community college. The number of credits you are able to transfer over does not include foundational (general courses with course numbers less than 1000) classes.
    • Your transfer school will want an official transcript from SCC once you transfer. Go to the Student Services Office on your campus to request a transcript or select "Transcript Request" from the Student Menu on WebAdvisor.
    • Apply to your transfer school at least 6-9 months before you wish to attend. Some schools have earlier deadlines.

    The Nebraska Transfer Initiative

    The Nebraska Transfer Initiative (Statewide Common Courses Matrix) provides seamless transition for SCC Academic Transfer graduates. The Initiative is a cooperative effort by Nebraska's public and private higher education institutions to facilitate the transfer of students who have earned an associate of arts degree into baccalaureate-level programs.
    The core of this initiative is a common general education cluster of courses, with the remainder of credit hours required for the associate of arts degree selected by the students in consultation with a transfer advisor and the institution to which they are transferring. This initiative provides a smooth transition with a minimum loss of time and credit when it is accepted by the baccalaureate-granting institution in Nebraska. Effectively, through this initiative, associate and baccalaureate-granting institutions are equal partners in providing the first two years of a baccalaureate degree.