Computer Information Technology
If you are a tech savvy problem solver, our Computer Information Technology program is the ideal fit for you. We will prepare you for a successful career in one of the following focus areas:
- Applications Development - design and code software applications on different computer platforms (PC, web and mobile)
- Cybersecurity – explore security practices, cyber defense techniques, and digital forensics related to the protection of today's networks and critical information systems
- Network Management - set up, maintain, and manage computer networks in both a Windows and Linux environment
- Computer Support - work as the main computer technician in a company or as a member of a team providing help desk support
Our flexible CIT program provides hands-on training while allowing you to be a full-time or part-time student taking day, evening and online classes. Once you complete the program, you will be prepared to work in every sector of the economy.
Student entering this program may qualify for the STEM CONNECT scholarship. Applications are currently being accepted. Learn more.
Please note that the following programs are currently under review by the Department of Education for federal financial aid. Students are not able to receive federal financial aid for this program until it has been approved.
- Computer Information Technology, General Technician Certificate can be completed 100% online!
You can start the Computer Information Technology program in the Fall or Spring terms. Follow these steps to finish your application:
- Want to learn more about SCC? Come see how SCC will help you achieve Your Path to Possible! Schedule a campus visit!
- Need help exploring career opportunities or navigating the admissions process? Schedule an appointment with an Admissions Counselor.
- Ready to apply? Complete an Application for Admission.
- Submit ACT, SAT, Next Generation Accuplacer, or Accuplacer test scores (reading and math) or official college transcripts showing completion of post-secondary coursework in English and math to the Admissions Office at any SCC location.
You’re a Good Fit
Our Computer Information Technology program provides you with a comprehensive, hands-on training in current technologies which makes you a valuable employee. You will be successful in the CIT field if you:
- have excellent problem-solving skills
- are organized, detail oriented, able to prioritize your workload and document activities
- are able to communicate effectively with a variety of people
- have good written and oral communication skills
- enjoy helping others solve computer-related problems
- are flexible enough to work in groups or independently
- can concentrate on a project or problem until you find a solution
- enjoy working in a field that is always changing
The job market is looking for people with the technical skills to make computers work. Rewarding IT careers are available in almost every field including health, education, business, transportation and manufacturing, and the job outlook is expected to increase through 2022. Recent SCC graduates report an average starting annual salary of $48,256. Career options in Computer Information Technology include:
- Application Developer
- Cybersecurity Analyst
- Desktop Support Technician
- IT Applications Developer
- IT Database Analyst
- IT Infrastructure Support Technician
- IT Technician
- Network Manager
- Network Operations Engineer
- Network Technician
- Security Technician
- Software Developer
- Software Engineer
- System Application Specialist
- Web Developer
- Web Programmer
State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement Institution
Southeast Community College is a State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement Institution (NC-SARA) institution. As such, SCC is unable to offer online or distance courses to students in the following areas at this time: American Samoa, Guam and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands.