This is a DMV approved course for the certification of instructors to teach driver education in a noncredit format.
Focus is on fundamental driver education, curriculum development, and presentation skills. The intent of this class is for those individuals that want to teach outside the K-12 system.
- 36 Hours of classroom/online lecture
- 24 Hours behind the wheel training
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent
- Valid operator’s license held in state of residence for two consecutive years
- Clean driving record
- For the prior five years, the instructor candidate must have no violation on record for which five or more points might be assessed. This includes probation or other situations in which no points were actually assessed for the violation.
- You must have no suspensions or revocations on record within the last five years, including no convictions for DWI or any related alcohol or drug offense in connection with motor vehicle use. DMV Title 247.
After successful completion, SCC will send required information to the DMV. Please allow two weeks for processing (after the class end date).
Ready to be a Driver's Education Instructor?
2023 Schedule (PDF)
- April 3-May 13, 2023
- Aug. 14-Sept. 23, 2023
- Oct. 9-Nov. 18, 2023