Allied Health, CPR, EMS & Nursing FAQ

  • Allied Health/Nursing CEUs

    Q: Do I need to take a refresher course to reinstate my nursing license?
    A: You need to check with the Nebraska State Board of Nursing: or (402) 471-2666.

    Q: What do I do if the Nebraska State Board of Nursing says I need to take a refresher course?
    A: We offer a course twice a year that is a blended course with online, face-to-face classroom, lab and clinical time all required to complete and pass the course.

    Q: Are your nursing workshops peer reviewed?
    A: Most every workshop SCC offers for nurses is peer reviewed. All peer-reviewed workshops will have the following statement on the advertising material: “Southeast Community College Continuing Education Division is an approved provider of continuing nursing education by the Midwest Multistate Division, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.”

    Q: What is the difference between CEUs and contact hours?
    A: One CEU equals 10 contact hours. Nurses in Nebraska need 20 contact hours every two years to renew their license. You can find more information about license renewal at

    Q: If I come late or leave early from an SCC Nursing workshop, why don’t you give partial credit?
    A: SCC follows the State Board of Nursing regulation, which states: “A licensee must attend the complete continuing education offering in order to report it for credit.”

    Q: How can I pay for non-credit health occupation courses such as RN/LPN Refresher courses since they do not qualify for traditional financial aid?
    A: SCC has an automatic payment program called FACTS. This program allows you to spread out your payments. For information about this program and to see if you qualify, go to:


    For more information regarding this course, please visit the Paramedic program or contact Ryan Batenhorst at 402-437-2795; 800-642-4075; or

    Nursing Assistant and Medication Aide Classes

    Q: How do I register for Nurse Aide and Medication Aide classes?
    A: See the section titled “How to Register” in the Nursing Assistant/Medication Aide booklet. You can access a schedule by checking the SCC Web site (, clicking on Continuing Education, then Health/EMS, then Nursing Assistant/Medication Aide course booklet. This will give you a complete listing of the classes available for the quarters listed. You also may call the Jack J. Huck Continuing Education Center at (402) 437-2700 or (800) 828-0072 for a schedule.

    Q: What do I do if a third party is paying for me to take the class?
    A: A letter of authorization on company letterhead must accompany your registration form. This letter must include the individual student’s full name and Social Security number. Please state the amount of money agreed to pay for tuition, fees and book (if applicable).

    Q: When does SCC have classes?
    A: Please see the class schedule in the Nursing Assistant or Medication Aide booklet or log on to SCC’s Website.

    Q: Does SCC have job placement services?
    A: SCC’s Placement Center Services has its own Web site that links current and former SCC students to employers. Go to: You also may contact any of SCC’s Placement Specialists by phone: Heather Waite, Lincoln Campus, (402) 437-2622; Shirley Huttenmaier, Beatrice Campus, (402) 228-8216; or Shelly Tolle, Milford Campus, (402) 761-8242.

    Q: Do I need to have my high school diploma or GED® in order to take the Nursing Assistant classes?
    A: No. You must be at least 16 years of age by the start date of the class you plan to enroll.

    Q: What are the prerequisites for the Medication Aide class?
    A: The prerequisite to take the Medication Aide course is to have successfully completed a 75-hour nursing assistant course or Nurse Aide ICF-MR. If you have taken a 75-hour nursing assistant course or Nurse Aide ICF-MR at another institution, documentation of successful completion must be provided at the time of registration. Students must be at least 18 years of age prior to the start date of the class they plan to enroll.

    Q: What do I wear to class, labs and clinical sites?
    A: The first class session, please wear street clothes. Subsequent classroom attire will be discussed by the instructor the first day of class.

    Q: What books do I need, and will the books be available at the class site?
    A: Students must have their books at the first class session. Required textbooks are available at the following locations:

    • SCC’s Lincoln Campus Store, 8800 O St., 1-800-642-4075 ext. 2560, (402) 437-2560, open Monday through Thursday 7:30 a.m.-7:30 p.m., Friday 7:30 a.m.-5 p.m., and Saturday 8 a.m.-noon
    • SCC’s Beatrice Campus Store, 4771 W. Scott Road, 1-800-233-5027 ext. 1267, (402) 228-8267 open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
    • Online at

    Books will not be available at the classroom site. They must be purchased from a campus store listed above.

    Q: What is the difference between a Nursing Assistant and a CNA?
    A: Even though CNA is a commonly used term to refer to Nursing Assistants, the state of Nebraska does not “certify” Nursing Assistants. Your title is “Approved Nursing Assistant.” SCC will report to the state of Nebraska all of the names of students who have successfully completed the College’s Nursing Assistant course.

    Q: How do I check my status on the Nebraska Registry?
    A: The state Web site is Persons also can call (402) 471-0537.

    Q: How do I reactivate my status on the Registry if it is lapsed?
    A: See Nebraska Testing Entities List

    Q: How long will my Nursing Assistant status remain active on the Nebraska Registry?
    A: Registry status lapses if you have not worked as a Nursing Assistant during the past two years. You can retest at an approved testing site, such as SCC, for a minimal fee.

Vivial Tracking Pixel