Skip to Main Content
  • Questions about SCC?  You'll find a listing of our most frequently asked questions below.  Need to contact us?  Click here.
  • FAQ's


    If I am placed on a waitlist, what are my options?
    Students who are on program waitlists can register for classes and use any financial aid they are eligible for to pay for these classes. All programs at SCC include general education courses as part of their curriculum. Students can take these classes in advance of starting their program-specific courses. Contact the Admissions Office or Registration Office at the campus you plan to attend for further information.
    What is the difference between a declared and an undeclared student?
    A declared student has been formally accepted into a Program of Study. Typically, a declared student plans to complete a Program of Study at SCC. Declared students have priority registration opportunities based on the number of credit hours they have completed at SCC. An undeclared student has not applied or been accepted into a Program of Study at SCC. Typically, an undeclared student is “non-degree seeking” and does not plan to graduate from SCC. Many times an undeclared student only wants to take a few classes at SCC. Undeclared students cannot use financial aid and register during general registration. General registration dates and online registration options for undeclared students are listed in the Credit Class Schedule.
    How do I schedule a campus visit?
    Campus tours can be scheduled online. You can also contact the Admissions Office at the campus you want to visit. Please have several dates available when you contact us to schedule a visit. Beatrice Campus: (402) 228-8252. Lincoln Campus: (402) 437-2600. Milford Campus: (402) 761-8243. Check the Events page for other special visit opportunities.

    Financial Aid

    How many credit hours do I need in order to be eligible to receive financial aid?
    A minimum of six (6) credit hours is required for Federal Direct Stafford loans. Federal Pell Grants are prorated based on the number of registered credit hours.
    If I do not attend school for a quarter, will I still receive my loan funds?
    You are required to be actively attending classes and enrolled in a minimum of six (6) credit hours to be eligible to receive loans.
    Why do I have to be in a Program of Study to receive financial aid?
    In order to be eligible for federal aid, you must be in a diploma or degree Program of Study.
    If I have a bachelor’s degree, am I still eligible for federal aid?
    Students who have obtained a bachelor’s degree are not eligible for Federal Pell Grants, but are still eligible for Federal Direct Stafford loans.
    What is meant by aggregate limit?
    The Department of Education sets limits on the amount of money you can borrow for undergraduate studies. These are called aggregate limits. If you get this notice, please contact your financial aid office for assistance.
    Why do I have to be signed up for Selective Service to receive financial aid?
    It is a federally funded program, and Selective Service is one of the requirements for eligibility.
    How do I apply for scholarships?
    Go to  the online Financial Aid scholarship page and complete the online application. Also, check out your campus scholarship box/board for additional outside scholarships.
    What is census day?
    It also is called lock day. This is the day when aid is adjusted based on enrollment status, and no more classes can be added without approval. Aid will be set based on enrollment status.
    If I fail a class, can I retake it, and will financial aid cover it?
    Yes, you can repeat a class and financial aid will cover the tuition.
    Do I have to be a declared student in order to receive financial aid?
    Yes, you must be in a Program of Study.

    Students with Disabilities

    What should a student with a disability know when transitioning from High School to College?
    This publication compares the differences between high school and college settings and looks at the information students, parents and teachers should know as a student makes plans to attend college.