Lincoln Journal Star article from May 17, 2015
What we know today as the Milford Campus of Southeast Community College sits in an area first known to the Pawnee Indians for its curative water springs.
Jacob H. Culver, an immigrant from Wisconsin, saw the highly mineralized and lightly lithium-infused water that bubbled up on the banks of the Blue River near Milford as a potential sanitarium site. A Sanitarium Park was announced in 1886 with a three-story-plus basement hotel with a projected cost of $11,500. Although some sources say the original masonry building was never completed as a sanitarium, others claim it was finished in 1895, with all agreeing that it was never the hoped-for success. In May of 1906 Jacob Culver’s sons Harry and Elwin joined the still embryonic project, even though the original concept had been abandoned.