Standards of Progress
A veteran and/or eligible person must make satisfactory progress toward an approved educational objective leading to
employment. Veteran and/or eligible person Standard of Progress will be determined utilizing the Satisfactory
Academic Progress policy as listed in the college school consisting of overall grade point average, pace, program
length, maximum time for completion, attendance and/or conduct.
To apply for VA education benefits, you must complete the VA.GOV electronic application. (The VA is also used if you are claiming education benefits
as a spouse/dependent of a veteran or if you have previously used VA education benefits.) Please allow 4-6 weeks for
your application to be processed. Please contact the VA Regional Office Customer Service Department at
1-888-442-4551, if you have any questions pertaining to G.I. Bill Benefits.
Department of Education’s Financial Aid College Financing Plan (PDF).
Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018 -Section 103
In compliance with section 103 of the Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018, Southeast Community College will
not impose the following penalties to covered individuals* due to the delayed disbursement of funding from the
Department of Veterans Affairs:
- Preventing nor delaying the student's enrollment,
- the assessment of late fees,
- the denial of access to any resources, such as classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities that are
available to other students who have satisfied their tuition and fees bills to the institution, or
- require the student to secure alternative or additional funding.
To qualify for this provision, such students are required to:
- Produce a Certificate of Eligibility for entitlement to educational assistance. This should be provided no later
than the first day of a course of education for which the individual has indicated they wish to use their
- Submit a written request to use the entitlement;
- Provide additional information needed to properly certify their enrollment as required by the Primary School
This provision ends on the earlier of the following dates:
- The date on which payment from the VA is made to the institution
- 90 days after the date the institution certified tuition and fees following the receipt of the Certificate of
*A covered individual is defined as any individual who is entitled to educational assistance under Chapter 31,
Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Services, or Chapter 33, Post 9/11 G.I. Bill®
If an individual is unable to meet a financial obligation to the institution due to delayed disbursement of a payment
under Chapter 31 or 33, and the amount of the disbursement is less than anticipated, the institution may require
additional payment or may impose a fee for the amount. This is the difference between the amount of the financial
obligation and the amount of the disbursement.