Plumbing, Heating and Air Conditioning Technology
Industry spoke, and we listened. Our Plumbing, Heating and Air Conditioning program will prepare you to design, install and repair both residential and commercial plumbing systems, and provide you with the fundamental principals involved in heating and cooling systems. Our hands-on program will teach you plumbing codes and theory, safety and the proper use of tools, test equipment common in the industry, how to read blueprints and access the layouts of plumbing systems and water supply, and work with basic electrical components related to heating and air conditioning systems.
You will take a combination of classes with lab assignments. You will also gain real-world experience by plumbing the student-built house on the Milford Campus. Our program will count as credit towards your apprenticeship license once completed.
- Want to learn more about SCC? Come see how SCC will help you achieve Your Path to Possible! Schedule a campus visit!
- Need help exploring career opportunities or navigating the admissions process? Schedule an appointment with an Admissions Counselor.
- Ready to apply? Complete an Application for Admission.
- Submit ACT, SAT, Next Generation Accuplacer, or Accuplacer test scores (reading and math) or official college transcripts showing completion of post-secondary coursework in English and math to the Admissions Office at any SCC location.
You’re a Good Fit
You will be successful in our Plumbing, Heating and Air Conditioning program if you:
- enjoy problem solving
- are a sequential and analytical thinker
- have good verbal and written communication skills and can communicate effectively with a diverse customer base
- are flexible and willing to help at a moment’s notice
- are eager to learn to keep up with industry standards
- are detail oriented and the ability to do neat, accurate work
- like variety in your job
- take direction and work independently, depending on the project
- are good at using diagnostic testing to determine outcomes
- are able to research and analyze outcome
- will work outside in all kinds of weather
- have good manual dexterity and ability to see and manipulate small objects
- can sense when something is wrong or likely to go wrong
Skilled workers are in high demand in the plumbing field. We will train you to work in commercial or residential settings to repair, install and maintain plumbing fixtures and systems for drainage, heating, drinking, venting, and sewage. The average starting salary in the industry is $37,440. Career options in Plumbing, Heating and Air Conditioning include:
- Apprentice Technician
- Building Engineer
- HVAC Technician
- Maintenance Specialist
- Service Manager
- Service Technician