Culinary - Baking/Pastry
Our Bakery/Pastry program will have you prepared to be a baker or pastry chef in all areas of the industry such as bakeries, grocery stores, restaurants, caterers, food trucks, and more. This program provides more concentrated curriculum in baking and pastry techniques in our state-of-the-art facility to make you more marketable in the culinary industry. The Bakery/Pastry program adheres to the American Culinary Federation Educational Foundation standards and is accredited by the ACFEF.
You can start the Bakery/Pastry program in Fall, Spring or summer terms. Follow these steps to finish your application:
- Want to learn more about SCC? Come see how SCC will help you achieve Your Path to Possible! Schedule a campus visit!
- Need help exploring career opportunities or navigating the admissions process? Schedule an appointment with an Admissions Counselor.
- Ready to apply? Complete an Application for Admission.
- Submit ACT, SAT, Next Generation Accuplacer, or Accuplacer test scores (reading and math) or official college transcripts showing completion of post-secondary coursework in English and math to the Admissions Office at any SCC location.
Special Program Requirements
- All Bakery/Pastry students must obtain a Lincoln-Lancaster County Food Handlers permit.
- You are required to purchase a set of professional knives, professional uniform and appropriate shoes.
- You are responsible for your own transportation to off-campus and co-op learning sites.
You’re a Good Fit
Our Bakery/Pastry program prepares you for a fast-paced career in this industry. You will be a successful if you:
- are detail oriented and able to work on a team
- like variety – no two days are alike
- possess the ability to multitask efficiently
- have the endurance to stand an entire shift if needed
- thrive in high stress environments
- are willing to accept criticism and adjust your style if necessary
- are creative with your recipes and presentation
- are passionate about serving others
If you want a rewarding career where no two days are alike, then a career in baking/pastry chef is for you. Our most successful alumni are dedicated and driven by helping others as well as creatively inspired by working with food. Our graduates report an average starting salary of $31,824. Career options include:
- Cake Decorator
- Executive Pastry Chef
The program is accredited by The American Culinary Federation Accrediting Commission.
State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement Institution
Southeast Community College is a State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement Institution (NC-SARA) institution. As such, SCC is unable to offer online or distance courses to students in the following areas at this time: American Samoa, Guam and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands.