Our Healthcare Management program is designed for you if you are a healthcare professional and want to further your career in a supervisory position. We will teach you how to build teams, supervise effectively, and understand planning and the decision-making process. You will take courses in human resources, finance and information management, strategic planning, quality growth and control. This program includes a healthcare management practicum which allows you to demonstrate what you have learned. Once you graduate, you will have the option of transferring to a four-year college to pursue a degree in Healthcare Management or Leadership, or seek employment.
Graduates will be able to transfer on to pursue a 4-year degree in Healthcare Management or Leadership or seek employment. Career opportunities for entry-level healthcare managers and supervisors are found in a variety of settings. Professions applicable to this degree are medical and dental office managers, shift supervisors, and department managers find employment in home health care services, hospitals, offices of physicians, dental clinics, outpatient centers, skilled nursing facilities and community health clinics.
Step 1: Create an application to the program by completing an online program application.
Step 2: Meet with Advising
Your next step is to meet with your academic advisor to create your program course plan including general education classes required for the Healthcare Management Degree. Credits can be transferred in from other colleges or universities and/or earned at SCC. All students must receive a grade of a C or higher for all General Education courses for the Healthcare Management Program. Your advisor will assist you in completing the following requirements:
- Specific levels of Math Placement score showing eligibility for College Algebra
- Complete Program General Education Requirement Courses
- Transcripts from high school, GED® or other colleges (if applicable)
- Complete: Student Health Statement (PDF)
- Complete: Immunization Waiver Form (PDF)
- Review: Essential Functions (PDF)
- Complete: CPR Training
Special Program Requirements
- Submit copy of a current American Heart Association BLS CPR card. See Program Admission Checklist for specific CPR requirements.
- Submit completed Health Statement to the Health Sciences Division (term prior to Practicum).
- A criminal background check will be required of each student in this program. Based on the background check, a student may be prevented from taking certain courses, accessing certain laboratory experiences, or completing the program. A non-refundable fee of $45 will be accessed for this CBC. Misdemeanor or felony convictions may prevent a graduate from acquiring a state license.
- Students admitted to a Health Sciences program at SCC requiring a clinical rotation at a contracted healthcare facility will submit to initial drug and alcohol testing prior to the first clinical rotation. A non-refundable fee of $44 will be accessed for the drug screen.
- All required Healthcare Management courses completed with a grade of C or higher.
- Program offers web-based courses but requires supervised practicum at program approved locations.
- A laptop computer is recommended for students in this program (see computer system requirements).
Required Laptop computer system requirements (should not be older than 3 years)
- Laptop models: Apple MacBook (10.12-Sierra, 10.13-High Sierra or 10.14-Mojave) or Windows Laptops (Windows 10 pro, home version may work fine) or MS Surface Tablet Pro (Windows 10 Pro)
- Processor: Intel Core i5 or higher
- Ram (Memory): 4GB minimum
- Hard Drive: Solid State hard drive preferred 128 GB or higher
- Peripherals: Webcam, Headphones
- Wireless: all laptops should have wireless
Not recommended: Android Tablets, iPads, Windows 10 S Mode, Chromebooks.
You’re a Good Fit
Our program prepares you to begin a career pathway as a healthcare manager or supervisor or pursues an advanced degree. You will be a successful healthcare manager or supervisor if you:
- are a detail-oriented, inquisitive person
- able to work on and also lead a team
- desire to bring out the best in others through goal setting and coaching
- communicate effectively (both verbal and written)
- are able to make quick decisions based on logic and analytical skills
- are fiscally responsible with resources and equipment
- can see vision for the future of an organization and use it to create a strategic plan
- have good interpersonal and communication skills
- have the ability to work under stress
- can look at multiple sides of an issue and formulate a decision based on best practice
- are a person of character with honesty and integrity
- believe people are worthy of the best medical care
Career opportunities for entry-level healthcare managers and supervisors are found in a variety of settings including home healthcare services, hospitals, medical and dental offices/clinics, outpatient centers, and skilled nursing facilities. Professions applicable to this degree are:
- office managers
- shift supervisors
- department managers