Drug, Alcohol and Controlled Substance Policy

As a condition of receiving funds or any other form of financial assistance under any federal program, an institution of higher education must certify that it has adopted and implemented a program to prevent the unlawful possession, use, or distribution of illicit drugs and alcohol by students and employees. Southeast Community College has programs and policies in place to support a drug-free environment.

It is the policy of the Southeast Community College Area to control and monitor the use/abuse of drugs, alcohol and other chemicals and controlled substances on college premises and at College-sanctioned events, and to educate students and employees about the use, abuse, and effects of drugs, alcohol and illegal/controlled substances. The College will implement procedures which will ensure to monitor and pursue compliance with laws relating to drugs, alcohol, and other chemicals and controlled substances including: the Drug-Free Workplace Act and the Omnibus Transportation Employee Testing Act of 1991, the Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act Amendments of 1989, and all related regulations and rules promulgated pursuant thereto.

Exception: The use of alcoholic beverages may be permitted on college premises or at College-sanctioned activities in accordance with all College policies and procedures, as well as local, state and federal laws as follows:

  • In limited circumstances approved by the President or designee, and/or
  • Pursuant to the Class C liquor license currently held by Southeast Community College’s Great Plains Culinary Institute.

NOTE: SCC guests and visitors suspected of being under the influence of a controlled substance may be asked to leave College property or any officially recognized activity. Failure to comply may result in law enforcement intervention.

Pursuant to the Drug-Free Workplace Act and the Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act, Southeast Community College will require drug and alcohol tests for employees and students in circumstances where reasonable suspicion exists.

Student-Athletes - In accordance with all National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) and the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Drug Testing Policy, all student-athletes must consent to random drug testing for drugs/alcohol before participating in any athletic competition or event. All student athletes must complete and sign the consent form prior to the first athletic event of the Fall semester and will be subject to random testing throughout the course of the Spring semester or the subsequent time period where athletic events of the school year are ongoing. For procedures related to drug testing of SCC student-athletes please refer to the SCC Athletic Handbook.

Students and employees are reminded that unlawful possession, distribution or use of illicit drugs or alcohol may subject individuals to criminal prosecution. The College will refer violations of proscribed conduct to appropriate authorities for prosecution. Federal regulations and state laws provide penalties of fines and imprisonment for violations of the criminal statutes which include possessing, offering for sale, possessing with the intent to offer for sale, distributing or manufacturing controlled substances such as opiates, narcotics, depressants, stimulants or hallucinogenic drugs. See information regarding the federal penalties and sanctions.  Find relevant Nebraska laws pertaining to drugs and alcohol.

Student and employee violations of the policy and Standards of Conduct will be subject to disciplinary procedures consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules, College policy, and collective bargaining agreements. If a student’s behavior or action constitutes a significant disruption, safety concern and/or potential harm to themselves or others, the College will apply restrictions and/or disciplinary action appropriate to the behavior, setting, and program of study. Disciplinary action will be specific to the situation, class, course or program. See the SCC Student Code of Conduct for further information regarding the conduct process. Actions that may be taken include but are not limited to one or a combination of the following disciplinary sanctions:

  • Verbal Warning/Written Disciplinary Warning
  • Disciplinary Probation or Suspension
  • Expulsion or Eviction from on-campus facilities/programs
  • Referral to an appropriate drug/alcohol treatment program
  • College Service or Behavioral Requirements
  • Loss of Privileges
  • Confiscation of Prohibited Property
  • Educational Program
  • Restitution
  • Fines
  • Housing Reassignment
  • Housing Suspension or Expulsion
  • Eligibility Restriction
  • Other Sanctions

In addition, any student or employee who violates the Codes of Conduct as set forth in College policy may be subject to discipline and/or prosecution.

The term “controlled substance” as used in this policy means substances included in Schedules I through V as defined by Section 813 of Title 21 of the United States Code and as further defined by the code of Federal Regulations, 21 C.F.R. 1300.11 through 1300.15. The term does not include the use of a controlled substance pursuant to a valid prescription of other uses authorized by law. The term “alcohol” as used in this policy means any product of distillation or a fermented liquid which is intended for human consumption and which is defined in Nebraska statutes.

Students: The Campus Dean of Students will investigate suspected /alleged violations of College policies regarding prohibited use of alcohol and drugs by students. Sanctions may include disciplinary action against a student, up to and including expulsion and referral for criminal prosecution.

Employees: The Human Resources Office will investigate suspected/alleged violations of College policies regarding prohibited use of alcohol and drugs by employees. Sanctions may include disciplinary action against an employee, up to and including termination and referral for criminal prosecution.

The SCC Counseling Assistance Program (CAPS) provides students with access to counseling and referrals free of charge through a partnership with masters-level counseling students from area universities. Additional information is available at each campus’ Student Engagement Office.

A variety of treatment centers and agencies options are available upon request from the Student Affairs office or at Nebraska 211 (Dial 2-1-1) or 402-444-6666, or at the Nebraska 211 website.

Blue Valley Behavioral Health serves sixteen counties in Southeast Nebraska. More information about services provided and office location can be found at the Blue Valley Behavioral Health website or 402-261-4017. For after-hour emergencies call 1-877-409-6600.

Nebraska Mental Health Centers is a family owned and operated mental health clinic for people from all walks of life. NMHC provides psychological care for children, adolescents, adults, and families through individual, marital, family, and group therapy. For more information, visit the Nebraska Mental Health Centers website.

CenterPointe provides treatment for people suffering from mental health and substance use disorders. More information about services provided, visit the CenterPointe website or 402-475-8717. A 24-hour Crisis Line can be reached at 402-475-6695.

Lutheran Family Services (LFS) provides assistance in identifying and treating abusive and addictive behaviors as well as information, support and coping skills. For more information visit the Lutheran Family Services website or call Toll Free: 855-659-2706.

For Military & Veteran Services call 402-292-9105.

LFS also operates the Health 360 Integrated Care Clinic which integrates mental health, substance use and primary care services to produce the best outcomes for clients. For more information or to schedule an appointment call 402-441-6642.


Office Phone
Counseling Assistance Program for Students (CAPS) 402-228-8135 ext. 1135
College Advising 402-437-2419
Student Engagement 402-437-2678
Career Advising/Accommodations Resource Office 402-228-8242
Residence Life 402-228-8291
Dean of Students 402-228-8286


Office Phone
Counseling Assistance Program for Students (CAPS) 402-228-8135 ext. 1135
College Advising 402-437-2419
Student Engagement 402-437-2678
Accommodations Resource Office 402-437-2620
Wellness Center 402-437-2634
Dean of Students 402-437-2559


Office Phone
Counseling Assistance Program for Students (CAPS) 402-228-8135 ext. 1135
College Advising 402-437-2419
Student Engagement 402-437-2678
Accommodations Resource Office 402-761-8202
Wellness Center 402-761-8227
Dean of Students 402-761-8270