COVID-19 Update: Have a healthy and safe 2021 Spring Semester!
  •  Student Academic Support Addition.
    The architect’s animated walk-through of the Student and Academic Support Addition/Renovation at SCC’s Lincoln Campus. 
    Financial Aid.
    Financial Aid.
    Financial Aid.

Financial Aid & Scholarships

  • Our financial aid representatives specialize in helping you make your education at Southeast Community College affordable. They will guide you through the financial aid process to find funding to cover the cost of tuition, fees, books, supplies, housing, transportation and more.

    Your first step with this process is to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form. You must submit a FAFSA form by the federal deadline to be considered for financial aid each academic year.

    Please contact us if you have any questions as we are here to help you fund Your Path to Possible. If you are a current student, please check your SCC email for communication updates from our office.

    Types of Aid

    The following federal and state programs and SCC specific financial assistance are available to you:

  • This federal program provides grants to students to help pay college costs. Federal Pell Grant amounts awarded to SCC students for the 2021-22 award year ranges from $650 to $6,495, depending on your enrollment status and expected family contribution (EFC) determined by what you submit on your FAFSA. You do not pay back a Federal Pell Grant, except under certain circumstances.
    This federal program provides assistance to Pell Grant-eligible students with exceptional financial need as measured by the lowest expected family contribution. SCC will award FSEOG funds from the U.S. Department of Education until the full amount of all funds has been awarded to eligible students. You do not pay back a FSEOG, except under certain circumstances.
    This state program provides assistance to eligible students who are Nebraska residents with exceptional financial need as measured by the lowest expected family contribution. All eligible students with a completed financial aid file by March 1 will be given priority consideration for a NOG award. Funds are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. The Nebraska Coordinating Commission for Postsecondary Education approves these awards.

    This federal program provides low-interest loans for students enrolled and attending SCC at least half-time (a minimum of six (6) semester credit hours). Federal Student Loan applications are certified by the SCC Financial Aid Office and funded through the U.S. Department of Education. You are required to pay back the amount of the loan plus interest. The types of direct loans available are:

    • Subsidized Federal Direct Loans – These loans are based on need and the federal government pays interest on the loans while you are attending college at least half-time. This subsidy continues for six months from the date a student graduates, drops below half-time enrollment status or withdraws from school.
    • Unsubsidized Federal Direct Loans – These loans are not based on need and you are responsible for paying the interest from the date of the first disbursement.

    As a borrower, you will be classified into one of these groups:

    • Dependent Student – you will report both your parents’ and your own information.
    • Independent Student – you will report your own information (and, if you’re married, your spouse’s information).

    Depending on your status, you are eligible to borrow up to the following amounts:

    • Dependent students in the first year of a program: $5,500
    • Dependent students in the second year of a program: $6,500
    • Independent student in the first year of a program: $9,500
    • Independent student in the second year of a program: $10,500

    You will be classified as a first-year for student loan purposes until you have earned 30 credit hours toward an eligible program of study. The maximum amount you may borrow as an undergraduate during your college program is $31,000 for dependent students and $57,500 for independent students.

    Before you receive your loan funds, you will be required to complete the following on the U.S. Department of Education website using your FAFSA login:

    Our Financial Aid Office will inform you of the type of loan you are eligible for (subsidized, unsubsidized or a combination of both). We follow guidelines and regulations from the U.S. Department of Education when certifying loans and/or determining amounts. You can request the reasons for our decision in writing. Federal Student Loan borrower interest rates vary depending on the loan type and the first disbursement date of the loan. Please see the interest rates for Direct Subsidized and Direct Unsubsidized Loans.

    This federal program loans eligible parents of a dependent student a Direct PLUS loan to help pay for college expenses. Loan applications are certified by the SCC Financial Aid Office and are funded through the U.S. Department of Education. The yearly limit for this loan is SCC’s cost of attendance minus any other financial aid you receive.

    Your parents are responsible for repayment of this loan with options of when repayment starts after the origination date. The PLUS loan is subject to a fixed interest rate for the life of the loan. Please see the interest rates for the Federal Direct PLUS Loan.

    SCC Scholarships

    The SCC Educational Foundation established the scholarship program to make college affordable for SCC students and to recognize outstanding academic achievement.

    SCC Institutional scholarships are considered gift aid and do not require repayment.

    Online applications are acccepted during the following application periods:

    • High School Seniors apply during their senior year for awarding the next academic year.
      • December 1–March 1
    • Current and new SCC Students apply during the following periods for awarding in the next semester.
      • May 1–May 31 (Fall semester awards)
      • October 1–October 31 (Spring semester awards)

    Last year, more than 2,000 students received scholarship awards at a value of more than $2 million.

    External Scholarships

    External scholarships are awarded by organizations outside of Southeast Community College. SCC is not informed about scholarships that external organizations have provided to you.

    Once you are notified by the organization of your award, it is your responsibility to:

    • notify the SCC Financial Aid office of the scholarship amount
    • provide information about the external scholarship to the SCC Business Office (Student Accounts) to ensure proper handling of the funds, as outlined by the awarding organization.

    Once processing is complete the funds will be credited to your account.

    Transfer Scholarships

    SCC has established agreements with a number of area universities, including Concordia University and Nebraska Wesleyan. Please visit our Transfer Information page for additional details listed with each institution.

    If you plan to enroll in summer classes in 2022 and need financial aid, you must complete the 2021-22 FAFSA. Please keep in mind the following

    1. If you were full-time during the fall and spring semesters and used full-time Pell Grant funds, you need to register at least half-time (six or more credits) to be eligible for a summer Pell Grant. Contact the SCC Financial Aid Office if you did not receive full-time Pell Grant funds for the fall and spring semesters to discuss your summer eligibility.
    2. You must be registered at least half-time (six or more credits) for student loan eligibility.
    3. You must be enrolled in a degree or diploma at SCC to receive summer financial aid. If you are taking summer courses to transfer to another institution, you are not eligible for funds.

    This federal program provides part-time employment for students with financial need. Federal Work Study assignments are typically based on the amount of unmet need, lowest expected family contribution, date of application and suitability of skills for the position. You must complete the Federal Work Study job application and interview with a supervisor to receive work-study funds.

    A majority of work study jobs are on-campus jobs. Additionally, the Federal Work Study Program encourages employment in civic education and work related to your program of study whenever possible.